Ethiopia

Ethiopia

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Context

The question I would like to pose today is if the academy is not the right place to start in developing an integrated theology for mission, then where is and why there? 

I would like to propose that there is only one place we can start and that is the context in which we are placed. I have had many discussions over the years with students and teachers who have objected to this and say that our only starting place must be the Bible. However, I do not think that we even have a choice where to start.

If we take the example of the type of theology I described yesterday, I said that it answers questions posed by the academic. This is starting from the context of the academic; i.e his or her context. 

If we must start from the Bible, where in the Bible do we start? John 3:16? Romans 6:23? If so, why? Well wherever we do start, it is because of our Christian background, denomination, tradition or heritage that we will choose this or that verse, passage or book. This is context. My tradition will almost always gravitate towards a letter from the Apostle Paul, probably Romans. You can easily guess what my tradition is!

We always start from the context when thinking theologically about our mission. So if it is inevitable, then it should be conscious to avoid our context dominating the direction of our theology. 

Next time we'll look at what our context looks like.

 

No comments: