Ethiopia

Ethiopia

Friday, October 31, 2014

I just celebrated Halloween

It seems to me that I have just celebrated Halloween. I watched the news!

So called IS murdering people in Iraq and Syria; war and suffering in the Middle East and Ukraine; Ebola in West Africa; war in Central Africa. The list goes on. In this context, the celebration of the macabre seems unnecessary. 

This got me thinking and I wonder, apart from the massive commercialization of this event, whether Halloween helps people cope with such evil by making it comic. Perhaps this is a coping mechanism that so ridicules evil that it allows them to deny the reality of evil. This, of course exonerates us from confronting the reality.

I am not supporting or denying that there are dark spiritual powers behind evil, but I think it operates at all levels not only in Halloween.

BTW - Happy Reformation Day!

No comments: